Attempts to establish library service in Cooperstown began almost as soon as the town was founded. Collections were found in many early homes with reading rooms established for a period of time. Later, the State Library sent out traveling library collections to be circulated. In 1926, the Congregational Church had such a collection. For a time, the Evangelical Lutheran Church maintained a small lending library. This was a permanent collection and most of the books were donated.
Continuous public library service in Cooperstown dates back to 1944. A group of interested women, realizing the need for a permanent service, invited delegates from religious, civic, and fraternal organizations in the city to meet at the Windsor Hotel February 5, 1944 for the purpose of forming a library board. Mrs. M.D. Westley was elected chairman. The first librarian was Mrs. Selmer Larson with the building being housed in the Central Light Building.
As the library grew, it needed more money for its operation. In 1964, the library board requested and was granted an operating mill levy from the city. At that time other changes were made to bring the library into conformity with state laws. A small grant was received from the State Library Commission to bring the collection up to standards.
In July 1968, an application was made for funds to the State Library Commission, and in August the grant was approved. A total of $13,600 was received from the State and with the $10,000 of local funds, a building was purchased. October 18, 1968, the library moved to the present location. The multi-county demonstration library was begun in 1969 and continued until 1971. In July 1971, the Griggs County Commissioners levied a tax of one mill for the county library support. The new county library was known as Prairie Bookmobile Library. The library is now funded by four-mill levy from both the City of Cooperstown and Griggs County.
In 1998, circulation and processing of materials became computerized allowing the library to enter the technology age with the user-friendly system Winnebago. In 1999, a computer was added that allows patrons access to the Internet, word processing, and other computer programs. During 2003, two more patron computers were added. In 2001, the old bookmobile was replaced with a newer used bookmobile from the Bismarck Public Library. In 2004, two brand new computers were purchased with grant money for patrons to use. In the spring of 2005, a library website was built to allow greater access to the library from the comfort of your home.