Summer Reading Program
Blast Off to the Library
Mark the date June 14! The summer program is under way with lunar rocks visiting the Library. Actual lunar rock brought home by astronauts will be on display at the library on Friday, June 14 from 10 to 2. If you are working, come during your lunch break as the library will be serving a free will donation sandwich and other item lunch from 11:30 to 1:30. The donations will be used to purchase STEM items for public use.
The summer reading program Rock with SPACE will have programs for all age levels. Children ages 6 and younger program is from 10:00 to 11:00 with stories, movement activities, take home activities, and crafts. Please have an adult accompany children ages 3 and younger. From 1:30 to 3:00pm children who have completed kindergarten through 6th grade can learn to fly drones, code robots, participate in many different craft projects, play some outer space games and learn about space in general. All morning programs will be at the library with most afternoon programs being held at the Griggs County Fair Grounds to provide sufficient room to fly the drones. Everyone age 14 or older can read and help complete the mystery mosaic from space. All children’s programs will be held on Wednesday starting June 12 through July 17.
The final program on Wednesday, July 24 from 1:30 to 3:00pm is a carnival event for children ages 13 and younger. Prize drawings for those who participated in the reading portion of the program will be held that day. All children, who complete the reading portion of the program, receive a free poster, a $25 certificate from the Bank of North Dakota towards the College Save Program, and are entered in a drawing for $529 College Save Program award offered by the Bank of North Dakota.
This year there are plans for at least one and maybe two family evening programs. One will be flying the drones with the second program involving the use of a telescope. Watch for more information.
The guidelines are as follows:
- All patrons are eligible for the program.
- Each will read books of his/her own choice.
- For those that can’t read yet, someone may read to them.
- Books must be checked out from Griggs County Public Library. EBooks from Library2Go may be used.
- Sign up will be begin June 3, 2019 with the program closing on July 24.
- The treasure chest is stocked with new prizes each week for those in the reading program.
- Each week a participant reads, they will receive 20 mosaic squares to add to the mystery mosaic and a prize drawing ticket.
- Everyone, kindergarten and older, who attend the scheduled activities will receive 10 mosaic squares to add to the mystery picture.
- This year no minimum amount of reading will be required. You set your reading goal for each week to qualify for the reading portion of the program. To be in the final drawings you must have read at least six of the seven weeks of program.
If you have any questions, please call the Library Staff at 797-2214 Monday through Saturday.
Enjoy the summer!
Griggs County Library Staff